Skip to main content

Winning Homes

Back when we used to have cable, we all loved watching HGTV.  We also loved entering to win their Dream Home's.  We started entering in 2006, and while we loved the house when you could win it, going back and looking at it now, there are very few things we like about.  But there are others, overall we still like.  (Obviously none of the images are mine, they are from the HGTV and DIY websites).

Tyler, TX; 2005 Dream Home
Not much I like about this home, but the few things there are, I really like.

Exterior Detailing of stone, wood and earth; 2005 Dream Home


Tall Doors in natural wood with a lot of glass; 2005 Dream Home


Kitchen with it's stone and natural wood; 2005 Dream Home


Guest Suite; 2005 Dream Home


Pool; 2005 Dream Home

Lake Lure, NC; 2006 Dream Home
This is the first home we entered to win and thought it was absolutely perfect!  But there are a few things we still think are awesome about it, and those few things are...

Attic Room; 2006 Dream Home
Craft Room; 2006 Dream Home


Stone and Timber Facade; 2006 Dream Home

Sauna; 2006 Dream Home

Sleeping Porch; 2006 Dream Home

Winter Park, CO; 2007 Dream Home
Not a whole lot I really like about this home.  I like aspects about it, like the window in the second guest bedroom, or that it has a loft, and the fireplace in the den is cool.  


Exterior; 2007 Dream Home


Guest Bedroom 1; 2007 Dream Home


Dining Room; 2007 Dream Home


Master Bedroom; 2007 Dream Home


Outside Dining; 2007 Dream Home


Islamorado, FL; 2008 Dream Home
Few things I like about this home.  It's nice, it's just not for me.  The master bedroom, however, I like as a guest bedroom.

Fishing Room; 2008 Dream Home


Master Bedroom; 2008 Dream Home


Master Bathroom; 2008 Dream Home


Master Balcony; 2008 Dream Home


Guest Bedroom 1; 2008 Dream Home

Sonoma, CA;  2009 Dream Home

There's only one thing I absolutely love from this home, the master bedroom, but there are a few other nice features.

Master Bedroom; 2009 Dream House

Dish Pantry in Kitchen; 2009 Dream Home


Breakfast Nook structure/windows; 2009 Dream Home


Garden; 2009 Dream Home


Sandia Park, NM;  2010 Dream Home
I ADORE this home.  ADORE it!  There's really only minor things I would change/add.  

Kids Room; 2010 Dream Home
No one in my family has children.  I love this room, just nix the little kid stuff.

Guest Bedroom; 2010 Dream Home
I love this room.  What I do not like, however are when beds don't fit the space, as in the twin bed on the right being slightly in front of both windows.  I would have one bed, perhaps a double, and flip it so that the head was on the right wall.  Otherwise, great room!

Casita; 2010 Dream Home
Great little off house guest suite.  What is odd however is the flow from the bathroom to the bed.  There is no large picture window on the other side of the bed to capture great views.  I would have a curtain, so that who ever is occupying the casita could choose whether to look into/out of the bathroom or not.

Back Patio; 2010 Dream Home
This is where the pool should be added, somewhere around the back patio.  Otherwise, besides these minor things I love EVERYTHING about this home.

Stowe, VT; 2011 Dream Home
I like this home about half, perhaps a bit more.

Kitchen; 2011 Dream Home
Far too bland for my tastes.  Also way too large and just lacks any real appeal.

Dining Room; 2011 Dream Home
I like it, just not the chairs.

Master Bedroom; 2011 Dream Home
I LOVE the master bedroom.  I'm not fond of the Queen Anne chest of drawers, so I'd put something different, but that's easily changeable.  This, however, is, well... bad design.  Great idea to hide the TV from view, but it's not practical, because you have to move the lamp and other things to even be able to get to the TV.  

Guest Bathroom; 2011 Dream Home
The guest bathroom is really lovely and had really nice features, but it seems a little lacking as well.  I like the simplicity, but it needs something.  A better tub, perhaps?  

Ski Dorm; 2011 Dream Home
It is an awesome ski dorm, however, we do not need a ski dorm, nor space for this many people.  I love the colour on the walls and the ceiling and floor, so I would just make this into a normal double bed guest room similar to the other one.

Dorm Bathroom; 2011 Dream Home
Again, it's a great bathroom, but we just don't need to accommodate that many people.  I like the theme around the sink, so I'd probably just nix the sink and light in the center, but otherwise leave that as is.  Depending on where this is in the house, we could utilize part of the space for something different.  If it's near the guest bath, I'd use the space to extend the guest bath a little bit.  If it's near the laundry room, I'd use the extra space to extend the laundry room out a little.  Otherwise I'd just close off the extra space and make it into a craft room or office since I can't conceive of a vacation home, all of these would be homes.

Laundry Room; 2011 Dream Home
Again, not enough people to warrant double washer and dryers.  Though that's nice if you have a lot of people and they're all being active skiing and such.  I would only have one set, and have this double as an office (see previous point) or just use the niche filled by the second washer/dryer set as extra counter and cabinet space and this would also be a butlers pantry.


Midway, UT; 2012 Dream Home
This exterior look and layout of this home is very odd, but the inside is rather nice.  Seems like the type of place my parents would like to call home and my sister and I would not mind visiting in the least.

Kids Secret Playroom; 2012 Dream Home
We do not have kids and even if we did, we don't like this.  I'd repaint and fill will books and make it a secret reading nook.  

Master Porch; 2012 Dream Home
This bothers me.  It's lovely and all that the master suite gets it's own porch.  But to get to it you have to go to the master wing and through the master bedroom, yet there are four chairs and four wine glasses.  Who are these other two people?  Is this a house for swingers?  Which is fine if it is, but this would not work for my parents.  

Guest Bedroom; 2012 Dream Home
I like the furniture, but really why couldn't this guest room be more lovely like the first guest room.  It is entirely too patriotic/country for my tastes.  It would have to be overhauled.

Changing Room; 2012 Dream Home
A changing room is not something we would need.  As is, this has a sauna, so I would just make it more of a nice, away from the house, hanging out area, much the way it looks now.  If the sauna were a bathroom, I would make this a guest suite.


Charleston, SC; 2013 Dream Home
I am not fond of Charleston or South Carolina, so I would want this home somewhere else.  But overall, there is little I would change about this house, so it's in my list of favourites.

Great Room; 2013 Dream Home
The large iron gate over the fireplace creeps me out.

Deck; 2013 Dream Home
The deck is lovely.  It wraps from this side, around the front and to the other side.  And while an elevated pool is a great idea in a marshy area, it is too small, because even so far north of me, it is still hot there in the summers.  So, I would extend it out just a bit so it wasn't so skinny.

Guest Room 1; 2013 Dream Home
Really, it's a lovely bedroom.  I just don't care for the colour blue of the foot stool or the rug.  But, those are really minor.

Guest Room 2; 2013 Dream Home
I love it, but also it's too much.  I love the bed and it being turquoise, but perhaps just one twin, or a double.  I'd paint the dresser a neutral colour.  Perhaps less blue in the rug, though I like the style of it.

Bunk Niche; 2013 Dream Home
It's really adorable, but again we don't have kids, so it isn't needed.  Since this is just a large upstairs landing, I'd make a sitting area or reading area or something.


Lake Tahoe, CA; 2014 Dream Home
I love the living spaces and the exterior of this home.  Some places need minor changes, other a bit more than minor.  But it's still great over all.

Living Room; 2014 Dream Home
I love this room over all, but would change the fabric of the two armchairs in front of the fireplace.  They're too fancy 1980s for my taste.

Downstairs Hallway; 2014 Dream Home
It's a great idea to utilize the space under the stairs for the dog, even including a dutch door so the dog isn't completely closed up.  But we don't have dogs, so I would have to use the space for something else and since it's so small, I'm not sure what, other than storage.

Powder Room; 2014 Dream Home
I like the idea of using raw wood pieces on the walls for detail, as they did in the Family Room.  But in that room it makes a nice design on the walls.  This just looks too polka-dotty for my taste (I'm not a fan of polka-dots), or from this view black squares on neon green, which is too 1980s in a bad way for me.  They are just pieces of raw wood, but that element over the entire wall like that, I'm not loving.

Laundry Room; 2014 Dream Home
This is a very tiny laundry room.  I don't need large and luxurious, but I doubt I could turn around in here.  I would have liked it better if they had brought it out into the foyer a bit more, incorporating that storage closet into the laundry room.  Also, the white stripes are just paint, but raw wood strips that were white would have looked lovely and brought more of that look into parts of the house that they were going for.  The blue colour of the walls needs to be different.  A pretty mustard or dark orange or a paler blue would work better for me.

Guest Bedroom; 2014 Dream Home
What is this?  This looks like they ran out of time or just stopped caring.  Again I don't like beds with a tiny portion in front of the window.  I think it looks tacky like no effort was put into the design.  Also, that clock is entirely too large for the space.  I love the paint and all the other things.  But, really we wouldn't need a closet, so I'd make that a bed niche, to where the head of the bed was in there with side tables.  Boom!  The room is instantly better (of course that clocks got to go or would be centered in the middle of the wall it's currently on).

Kids Bunk room; 2014 Dream Home
The kids bunk room is absolutely adorable, especially because it's Muppet Show Themed, but we don't have kids, nor do we know a lot of people, so bunk beds are not reasonable.  My sister I would probably keep something Muppet Show related, but I'd have the make the room more adult like.  No curtains, a double bed, nix the rug.  And I'd just make a reading nook loft space for those high windows like in a different house.  I imagine these types of rooms to be where my sister would stay and that would be perfect for her!

Kids Bathroom; 2014 Dream Home
Basically I'd make this bathroom look like the adult guest bathroom.  You could utilize some of the bedroom space to accommodate a nice tub, because it would need a tub; my sister likes to soak.


Now we'll take a gander at the DIY Blog Cabins.  We never really did watch much of the DIY Network before we got rid of our cable service, but we have been entering to win a DIY Blog Cabin since 2011.  There are three cabins that I like overall (2012 - 2014) and would change little of; others have a few nice features, but overall are either lacking or are just not my thing.


Exterior and that it is in the Great Smoky Mountains; 2007 DIY Blog Cabin

Asheville, NC; 2009 DIY Blog Cabin
This is a pretty great cabin overall, structure-wise and I like the location, but there's only a few things I would not change.

Exterior; 2009 DIY Blog Cabin


Windows and porch beyond; 2009 DIY Blog Cabin


Yard; 2009 DIY Blog Cabin


Guest Bedroom - just have one bed; 2009 DIY Blog Cabin

Bethel Springs, NY; 2010 DIY Blog Cabin

This is not a bad cabin structurally, but I'd have to redo both bathrooms, the laundry room, the mess of the foyer/dining area, change furnishings in the master bedroom as well as in the living room.  The guest bedroom is not pictured.  I do like the living room fireplace and the doors in the house though.  

Exterior; 2010 DIY Blog Cabin


Kitchen; 2010 DIY Blog Cabin


Door Latches; 2010 DIY Blog Cabin

Matthews, VA; 2011 DIY Blog Cabin
Really there's only a few rooms and features that I like about this home, but overall, it's not my cup of tea.  Also, this is the year that the cabins stopped being cabins.  They are more like luxury homes.

Great Room Annex; 2011 DIY Blog Cabin


Dining Room; 2011 DIY Blog Cabin


Second story balcony and interior lighting fixtures; 2011 DIY Blog Cabin


Guest Bathroom; 2011 DIY Blog Cabin


Master Bathroom; 2011 DIY Blog Cabin


Master Bedroom Built-ins; 2011 DIY Blog Cabin


Third Story Sitting Room Nook; 2011 DIY Blog Cabin

Waldoboro, ME; 2012 DIY Blog Cabin
I like how they updated this home overall.  There's only a few minor changes I would really make.


Foyer; 2012 DIY Blog Cabin
I love the foyer space.  What I don't love is how it was utilized.  I would definitely nix the tall cabinet and one of the benches.  I'd leave the one closest to the door, add a cushion, close in the bottom to either be baskets that pull out or you lift the top to get to things.  By the stairs I would put a squishy chair and a thin, hall type table for mail with a lamp or some flowers.

Laundry Room; 2012 DIY Blog Cabin
I think the laundry room could have been better updated.  It's too spread out and doesn't function or flow well.  Perhaps, if they must use all of the space, make it a butters pantry as well.

Childrens' Bedroom; 2010 DIY Blog Cabin

This is not a bad guest room, but I would nix the child's desk.  The colour is pretty, but it's too much of it.  Either a lighter shade or the ceiling white or something.  Also the original light fixtures creeps me out.

Master Bedroom; 2012 DIY Blog Cabin
It is a really nice master bedroom, but I would change the shutters to the right and nix the piece of furniture that the TV is on.  Do something not so shabby chic there.

Master Bathroom; 2012 DIY Blog Cabin
I like the master bath overall, but I do not like the custom built bench/towel rack thing.  It doesn't work in the space, besides the fact that it does not work as seating (which they state that it is) and the space between the "seating" and the towel hooks is too short, which would cause the towels to be too squished, therefore there is not a good flow.

Guest Bathroom; 2012 DIY Blog Cabin
I do not like this.  I would nix the side stool, the mirror, and the lighting fixture.  I would extend the back splash all the way up the wall.  I would probably choose a more square based sink (or use a cabinet sink) and a better mirror is definitely in order.


Atlantic, NC; 2013 DIY Blog Cabin
This is a nice home overall, there's little I would change.  Due to size restraints and structure I am OK with the lack of a second, real guest bedroom or a larger guest bathroom.

Kitchen; 2013 DIY Blog Cabin
I would change the lights over the bar, as well as the stools (not pictured).  I would also lighten the blue that is in the back splash just a little.

Master Bedroom; 2013 DIY Blog Cabin
I don't like the old shutters as a headboard and I would use a different door.  The two little windows is just odd.  I would probably use a door with more glass.

Guest Bedroom; 2013 DIY Blog Cabin
I'm not fond of the oars as a headboard but also, at the same time, it's rather nice.  I would definitely change the rug though.

Media/Guest Room; 2013 DIY Blog Cabin
It would be alright to add a TV to the downstairs living room, and make this just a guest room (not guest/media room).  If I left this as the media room (no TV downstairs), I like the bunk beds in here.  If I wanted a double, I'd do the same thing, but make it a pull down double.


Winter Haven, FL; 2014 DIY Blog Cabin
I like this home overall.  I don't like that it's in Florida, nor do I like the fishing or Florida related items, which are minor.  Also there are only minor changes I would make.

Foyer; 2014 DIY Blog Cabin
Now this foyer was utilized pretty well I think.  I'd just nix the fishing related items.  I like to fish, but I don't really care for fishing decor (except that one Fishing Room, but that's all contained in one room, that's different than spread throughout the entire house).  Ocean decor is different.  One house has a sun room with fish carved out of wood hanging on the wall.  That is awesome.

Family Room; 2014 DIY Blog Cabin

I like the table game, but that's about it as far as decor in this corner goes.  This feels like they just didn't know what to do with this corner or were tired of working.

Family Room; 2014 DIY Blog Cabin
I love the family room.  I just don't like most of the previous photo, nor this lighted anchor on the mantle.

Guest Bedroom; 2014 DIY Blog Cabin
I love the guestroom, but I think it's bad placement, as the bed OVERLAPS the bathroom door!  Come on y'all, no.  I would nix the closet and switch the room; having the head of the bed on the wall where the closet is, and the chair and the coffee bar on the other side of the room.  I think it would work MUCH better.

Kid Bedroom; 2014 DIY Blog Cabin
Do not have kids, and I wouldn't like this anyway.  I'd pretty much do this room similar to the more adult guest bedroom.

Guest Bathroom; 2014 DIY Blog Cabin
I like the jack and jill guest bathroom.  I would just change the colour.  Dusty colours are not my thing.  Green I like, so a lighter, less 'dustier' green?

Kitchen; 2014 DIY Blog Cabin
I love the kitchen, I would just lighten the brown of the cabinetry a little.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sneakiness of White Cake...

We're having white cake! What sort of melodrama could be brewing back there? I, myself, am not even a fan of white cake.  Sure, I enjoy cake, but it's not a top contender for taste.  But there was some sort of subliminal messaging going on in the film, Django Unchained, because after seeing it last year in the theatre, I wanted white cake.  Rented it two weeks ago, & again upon seeing it, I really, really wanted white cake.   Leonardo Dicaprio, as the character Calvin Candie, only utters the words 'white cake' a total of four times.  Perhaps it is because they are uttered in about a 15 minute time frame, or because he keeps holding a plate of cake or wanting everyone to eat it.  I'm not really sure.  All I know for sure is that I needed white cake, all because of his white cake scenes.  I was so intent on the subliminal messaging of 'white cake' that I even made a soap that smelled like it, before...   I eventually made white cake! I

Weepuls?

These guys had a name? These guys... I LOVED these guys when I was a child.  Well, the smaller one's because they were the only one's that existed in my small world.  They were HUGE in the early - mid 1980's and were all over the place.  Girls would have them stuck to their Trapper Keepers, they ended up in Easter baskets, came with Valentine gifts.  Just everywhere I went someone had at least one. And then they were gone.  For so long that I had completely forgotten about them until I was in Michael's craft store yesterday evening.  My sister (who was really into them as well) had forgotten about them until I showed her the package I was intending to purchase. Is that to avoid copy-rights or am I safe in assuming no one knew they had names? So, we get a little nostalgic and happy.  I purchase them intending to give away one with each of my valentines.  Then we head to Target and we get to the Valentine candy section and their huge promotional sign is these gu

The title of this post is... 'While you are ignoring me... I jump in the Bifrost with Disney Prince Loki"

Disney Prince Loki, everyone. There's this thing going around about Loki being a Disney Prince.  It amuses me.  Is it important?  Probably not.  But it does lead very well into this blog post, I think.  I would jump in the Bifrost with Loki; Disney Prince or no.  But he's not the only one.  If you've not read A] any Norse mythology B] any Thor comics C] seen the film Thor, then I shall enlighten you.  The Bifrost is the rainbow bridge connecting this world with Asgard (where Thor, Odin, Loki and the rest of the Norse gods dwell.)  The Bifrost is not really the important part.  It simply means to run away/go away with in this context. I do not mind speaking up on the fact that I have never had a boyfriend.  It doesn't define who I am, as I don't particularly like being confined into boxes, but it does make up a part of who I am.  I'm not going to deny it.  There has never been a relationship, a date or a boy/man in my life to speak of.  But, that doesn