Skip to main content

When Gus was a Mexican ghost... it was epic

Gus is a museum curator ghost

Recently I went through and read my children's books to see what I'd be keeping and what I'd be giving away.  I did a previous blog post about what I found from that read through, here.  But this post today is much lighter and less scandalous.  This post is about Gus the Friendly Ghost.  There were three books and I adored them when I was a kid.  

The first, titled Gus the Friendly Ghost, is about Gus living in the attic of a home.  A family resides there through the spring and summer months.  In this story, when the family leaves for autumn, a mouse moves in.  Mouse and Gus have a lot of fun, but Mouse shows jealousy when the family returns and Gus has to mediate and say they all have to get along.  Great story, but rather boring.  

I'm guessing things didn't go as smoothly as Gus intended in the mediation, or else him and Mouse have amnesia, because a few years later, Gus and The Baby Ghost shows that Gus and Mouse live in a museum... with a cat.  The museums owner, well, he appears to be able to see Gus, but I'm not entirely sure about the continuity of that.  Anyway, Gus is allowed to co-curate.  But then a baby ghost shows up.

Feeding Baby Ghost during museum hours.
The museums owner can't see Baby Ghost, but he can hear him and is furious that it will drive away customers.  But if Gus promises to keep it quiet it can stay.  So, Gus rocks in the rocking chair, in the middle of the museum, during business hours and feeds Baby Ghost.  

Invisible Baby Ghost
Earlier in the book, we the readers, can see Gus and Baby Ghost.  When Baby Ghost is heard, however, it is quite clear that he is invisible and the patrons can only hear baby noises coming from the crib.  But we are still allowed to see Gus.  But Gus is quite invisible to the museum patrons.  I suppose it's a 'children's book-show the lead character' sort of the thing.  It's still iffy if the owner can see Gus or only knows the general vicinity of where to look and talk to Gus.  But we have ascertained that white New England patrons can not see ghosts.

Gus is adorable in Mexico
Gus Was a Mexican Ghost, is by far the cutest of the three books.  He's still working at the museum and the owner decides to take a holiday to Mexico.  Gus, Cat, and Baby Ghost are lonely, however, so Gus packs them up and they go for holiday in Mexico as well, after receiving a postcard that said, 'Wish you were here!'

Buying food from a street vendor for Cat.
They sight see a little.  Gus shops for a sombrero and rebozo from the market.  Later he is seen buying food for cat.  Hold the phone right here.  He's interacting with people.  There's been dialogue and money/goods exchanges.  The people of Mexico City are not going to accept seeing a rebozo and sombrero simply hovering in the air; bobbing down the street, nor are they going to have dialogue and money/goods exchanges with someone they can not see.  

Gus being shown to his room
Gus even rents a room for his holiday.  Both the food vender and hotel owner, as shown in the illustrations, can see Gus, as well as Baby Ghost.  They are not afraid, they are even drawn to appear as if it's not a big deal to see a ghost wearing a sombrero and rebozo complete with Baby Ghost and carrying a basket with a cat in it, who buys taco's and rents hotel rooms.  They are drawn to appear as if this is perfectly natural.

Which leads me to believe, just plainly from the 'facts' presented in this children's story,  that Mexican people are AWESOME!!  Renting rooms and selling taco's to ghosts and they're cool with it.  Reading this story now makes it so much better than when I was a kid.  When I was a kid it just looked prettier and I thought Gus was adorable dressed in clothes.  But, now seeing the implications of the way the Mexican people are drawn actually interacting with Gus just makes it so much better!

Mexico has secret powers...or Museum Owner is a void.
However, when the group finally does find the museum owner, he is painting with a friend.  Neither the owner nor the friend can see Gus.  Apparently they also can not see a flying sombrero and rebozo.  This either means that Mexico has secret powers where only Mexican people can see ghosts... or else Museum Owner causes a cloud of confusion and when he is around, no one near him can see ghosts, seeing as he was present and walking people through his museum and he is present in this scene.  

I like to think it is both.  While probably wrong, I like to think that Mexican people can see ghost and are therefor awesome and that the land of Mexico has secret powers.  Also that Museum Owner is a void of all knowing and clouds others minds to his own deception.  

But don't take my word for it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sneakiness of White Cake...

We're having white cake! What sort of melodrama could be brewing back there? I, myself, am not even a fan of white cake.  Sure, I enjoy cake, but it's not a top contender for taste.  But there was some sort of subliminal messaging going on in the film, Django Unchained, because after seeing it last year in the theatre, I wanted white cake.  Rented it two weeks ago, & again upon seeing it, I really, really wanted white cake.   Leonardo Dicaprio, as the character Calvin Candie, only utters the words 'white cake' a total of four times.  Perhaps it is because they are uttered in about a 15 minute time frame, or because he keeps holding a plate of cake or wanting everyone to eat it.  I'm not really sure.  All I know for sure is that I needed white cake, all because of his white cake scenes.  I was so intent on the subliminal messaging of 'white cake' that I even made a soap that smelled like it, before...   I eventually made white cake! I

Weepuls?

These guys had a name? These guys... I LOVED these guys when I was a child.  Well, the smaller one's because they were the only one's that existed in my small world.  They were HUGE in the early - mid 1980's and were all over the place.  Girls would have them stuck to their Trapper Keepers, they ended up in Easter baskets, came with Valentine gifts.  Just everywhere I went someone had at least one. And then they were gone.  For so long that I had completely forgotten about them until I was in Michael's craft store yesterday evening.  My sister (who was really into them as well) had forgotten about them until I showed her the package I was intending to purchase. Is that to avoid copy-rights or am I safe in assuming no one knew they had names? So, we get a little nostalgic and happy.  I purchase them intending to give away one with each of my valentines.  Then we head to Target and we get to the Valentine candy section and their huge promotional sign is these gu

The title of this post is... 'While you are ignoring me... I jump in the Bifrost with Disney Prince Loki"

Disney Prince Loki, everyone. There's this thing going around about Loki being a Disney Prince.  It amuses me.  Is it important?  Probably not.  But it does lead very well into this blog post, I think.  I would jump in the Bifrost with Loki; Disney Prince or no.  But he's not the only one.  If you've not read A] any Norse mythology B] any Thor comics C] seen the film Thor, then I shall enlighten you.  The Bifrost is the rainbow bridge connecting this world with Asgard (where Thor, Odin, Loki and the rest of the Norse gods dwell.)  The Bifrost is not really the important part.  It simply means to run away/go away with in this context. I do not mind speaking up on the fact that I have never had a boyfriend.  It doesn't define who I am, as I don't particularly like being confined into boxes, but it does make up a part of who I am.  I'm not going to deny it.  There has never been a relationship, a date or a boy/man in my life to speak of.  But, that doesn