Skip to main content

He remains unnamed, so this post shall remain untitled

Drokpa male; Dha Village; Kashmire

I became aware of British photographer Jimmy Nelson and his fascinating project, Before They Pass Away, a few years ago.  At the time, there wasn't a book, and there were only a few scant photos online.  His project is to photograph the tribes whose ways of life are threatened or near extinct.  I simply adore other cultures.  I have always wanted to know all about them, to see their photos, to learn of their culture, customs, languages, spiritual beliefs, rituals, simply everything.  So, it comes as no surprise that I fell in love with this project from the moment I first heard about it.

A few years ago, Nelson was only showing, online, a few photos from five different tribes.  Now there are numerous photos from twenty nine tribes around the world.  It is an amazing look into cultures that one will never really see on their own.  And that's the kicker here; this is more than beautiful photos, this is something that takes you out of your everyday life of computers and drive thru coffees and film theatres.  A part of your life that you assume is how everyone else lives, or at least in part, you are somewhat similar to other peoples in the world.

But here are twenty nine different groups of people who do not live in the world that you know.  They live in the world that your ancestors knew.  These people do not work in office buildings wearing three piece suits.  They do not regularly visit coffee houses.  They do not see films.  They do not own television sets nor go out to see films.  These groups have changed very little since the beginning of their existences.  It is an amazing thing to actually realize, to think about.  These people live in places that are surrounded by war or divisions of countries or very remote locations; sometimes all three.  These are not groups of people you might just happen upon.  To see them for yourself, you would need to seek them out and go to great lengths to reach them.


When you realize this, you can begin to put everything into context.  In your country, to think of seeing any form of celebrity, up close, seems tantamount to impossible.  But you would have more of a chance to happen upon a celebrity than one of these groups of people.  You are about as likely to ever come face to face with these peoples, as you are, well, a unicorn, a person from another planet, or a fictional character.  

For 95% of you who might be reading this, this is what it amounts to; you will never be in the same vicinity as these people, much less be able to actually talk to them.  It doesn't mean it couldn't happen, but for the average person in the world, it will not. 

Of course these groups of peoples have had dealings with people outside of their culture group before Nelson showed up.  Most of them are not strictly out of contact with other groups of peoples.  Some welcome people into their villages.  Some would just rather you stay away, unless like Nelson, you received permission from them.  Some, like the Drokpa peoples of Kashmir have five villages, with three of those villages completely closed to outsiders.  Some tribes live in the middle of all the action, with loggers, military or wildlife groups constantly coming upon their villages and encroaching on their spaces.  Others are so far removed in their remote locations, they have less of that to deal with.   

But no matter where the tribes are located, they are all facing the loss of their cultures to varying degrees by outside peoples.  For some it's the government of the country they are located in telling them to stop doing something they've been doing for thousands of years, like the wife swapping, public kissing of the Drokpa's.  For others, like tribes in the Amazon, the forest is being ripped away and they are losing their lands.  For others, like several of the tribes in Africa, their hunting ways are being diminished, because of game preserves. 


I'll admit, that big realization did not really hit me until I saw the portrait of that unnamed Drokpa male.  There are numerous portraits of very beautiful people in the project, but personally to me, the man in the portrait above was, by far, the most beautiful.  He might just be the most beautiful man I've ever seen in my life, so far.  I'm not even sure if he's simply beautiful as is, or if the beflowered headdress, intricately awesome silver jewelry, and fluffy goat cape make him that much more beautiful.  What it did make me aware of, however, is that this is far stranger than simply seeing a photo of a beautiful male celebrity or seeing said male celebrity as an equally beautiful fictitious character.  Tom Hiddleston and Tom Hiddleston as Loki, come to mind.

If I got myself to San Diego for Comic Con, I would have a very good chance of seeing Tom Hiddleston, up close, with my own eyes.  I might even be lucky enough to see him portray the character of Loki.  This scenario actually becomes conceivable, compared to say being on set for a Thor or Avengers film, or being in the right place at the right time to bump into the man.

But the Drokpa man pictured above is so far removed from my life, or from anyone's life really, that he might as well live on Neptune.  Suddenly, it makes him seem even more fascinating than your general celebrity, and also that much more intangible.  I'm suddenly aware that this man, for all intents and purposes, IS a magical unicorn.  An average person will never see him, never touch him to see if he even exists, never speak with him.  Sure there is this portrait of him, but it means as much as a photograph taken on the moon.  We know that the moon exists, just as we know this man exists, but you and I will never get in rocket ship, much less step foot on the moon, just as we will never trek high into the Himalaya's to find this village and see this man for ourselves.

Of course, I would never accord that everyone should rush to Dha village, or any other place in the world to see remote tribes of peoples.  They are people.  They do not want to be gawked at like an exhibit, some trivial curiosity.  Which, this, only yields more thoughts; does this project only make these people into a trivial curiosity?  Will it bring about improved livelihoods for these tribes?  People, generally do not mind being known, being seen for who they are; but is this an underlying objective to the project?


I, personally, had little to no knowledge what-so-ever of the tribes featured in this project.  While I delight in knowledge and have a great respect in my curiosity of all peoples, I now wonder where this new knowledge lies.  Have I gained a very great thing in this new knowledge or was this something I, and others, really not need to recognize?  If one can not help these people achieve what they want; that is to keep their ways of life intact, then to what end have we really obtained this new information?  Simply just to know?  Is that enough?  Is that what these tribes want?  I wonder what their thoughts on this would be.  

These ponderings might very well be frivolous.  They may or may not pertain to you, in the way you think things through.  I am just writing a post and submitting my personal thoughts.  No matter what Nelsons project makes you feel, anyone could agree that in its entirely it is absolutely beautiful.  I would still encourage you to view the photos and read the information for yourself, which you can do so by clicking the link below.

>>Before They Pass Away


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sneakiness of White Cake...

We're having white cake! What sort of melodrama could be brewing back there? I, myself, am not even a fan of white cake.  Sure, I enjoy cake, but it's not a top contender for taste.  But there was some sort of subliminal messaging going on in the film, Django Unchained, because after seeing it last year in the theatre, I wanted white cake.  Rented it two weeks ago, & again upon seeing it, I really, really wanted white cake.   Leonardo Dicaprio, as the character Calvin Candie, only utters the words 'white cake' a total of four times.  Perhaps it is because they are uttered in about a 15 minute time frame, or because he keeps holding a plate of cake or wanting everyone to eat it.  I'm not really sure.  All I know for sure is that I needed white cake, all because of his white cake scenes.  I was so intent on the subliminal messaging of 'white cake' that I even made a soap that smelled like it, before...   I eventually made white cake! I

Weepuls?

These guys had a name? These guys... I LOVED these guys when I was a child.  Well, the smaller one's because they were the only one's that existed in my small world.  They were HUGE in the early - mid 1980's and were all over the place.  Girls would have them stuck to their Trapper Keepers, they ended up in Easter baskets, came with Valentine gifts.  Just everywhere I went someone had at least one. And then they were gone.  For so long that I had completely forgotten about them until I was in Michael's craft store yesterday evening.  My sister (who was really into them as well) had forgotten about them until I showed her the package I was intending to purchase. Is that to avoid copy-rights or am I safe in assuming no one knew they had names? So, we get a little nostalgic and happy.  I purchase them intending to give away one with each of my valentines.  Then we head to Target and we get to the Valentine candy section and their huge promotional sign is these gu

The title of this post is... 'While you are ignoring me... I jump in the Bifrost with Disney Prince Loki"

Disney Prince Loki, everyone. There's this thing going around about Loki being a Disney Prince.  It amuses me.  Is it important?  Probably not.  But it does lead very well into this blog post, I think.  I would jump in the Bifrost with Loki; Disney Prince or no.  But he's not the only one.  If you've not read A] any Norse mythology B] any Thor comics C] seen the film Thor, then I shall enlighten you.  The Bifrost is the rainbow bridge connecting this world with Asgard (where Thor, Odin, Loki and the rest of the Norse gods dwell.)  The Bifrost is not really the important part.  It simply means to run away/go away with in this context. I do not mind speaking up on the fact that I have never had a boyfriend.  It doesn't define who I am, as I don't particularly like being confined into boxes, but it does make up a part of who I am.  I'm not going to deny it.  There has never been a relationship, a date or a boy/man in my life to speak of.  But, that doesn