Skip to main content

Through music... this is how I love... this is how I conquer life... this is how I live



I'm waking up to ash and dust
I wipe my brow and I sweat my rust
I'm breathing in the chemicals
I'm breaking in, shaping up, then checking out on the prison bus
This is it, the apocalypse
Whoa

I'm waking up, I feel it in my bones
Enough to make my systems blow
Welcome to the new age, to the new age
Welcome to the new age, to the new age
Whoa, whoa, I'm radioactive, radioactive
Whoa, whoa, I'm radioactive, radioactive

I raise my flags, don my clothes
It's a revolution, I suppose
We'll paint it red to fit right in
Whoa
I'm breaking in, shaping up, then checking out on the prison bus
This is it, the apocalypse
Whoa

I'm waking up, I feel it in my bones
Enough to make my systems blow
Welcome to the new age, to the new age
Welcome to the new age, to the new age
Whoa, whoa, I'm radioactive, radioactive
Whoa, whoa, I'm radioactive, radioactive

All systems go, the sun hasn't died
Deep in my bones, straight from inside

I'm waking up, I feel it in my bones
Enough to make my systems blow
Welcome to the new age, to the new age
Welcome to the new age, to the new age
Whoa, whoa, I'm radioactive, radioactive
Whoa, whoa, I'm radioactive, radioactive


I first heard that song a few weeks ago on the local radio.  Our radio stations never play anything worth listening to.  Then Spotify radio played it yesterday and I thought, "That's it!  That's that song!"

I am far from being the only one who loves this song.  I, however, can't explain what this song means to the others; I can only explain it of myself.

This song, to me, is like a battle cry.  It makes me want to grab onto a really great looking guy; grab him by the front of his shirt; kiss him full and hard on the lips and let go.  Then with me bedecked in my battle armour and my weapons at the ready, I will raise the battle flag, charge the enemy and fight to the death.  And if he's still alive at the end of the war (because I, of course, will be), I'll kiss him some more for good measure.

To me, songs are like elixirs.  Some give power, while others drain it.  We all, whether we realize it or not, have both types of songs in our repertoire.  They are akin to the anecdote about the two wolves; inside each of us are two wolves, good and evil, with the one you feed the most the victor.  

At one time in my life I had a lot of poison songs, draining my power away from me.  But I woke up.  I realized that there was such a difference in music.  I have systematically drawn the poison songs from me; thrown them aside.  Replacing them with power music.  This song is one of those that is full of power; for me, at least.  It may not be a power song for you.

There are two types of power.  Power, like this song that lifts me up, up, up, up to a higher place; emboldens me.  Others are simply flowing straight.  They do not take me way up, but they certainly do not pull me down, down, way down like a poison song; draining me into a weakened state.  But one never needs a perpetual high in life, some moments, like songs need to be straight and steady, rather than heightened and intense.  Power songs don't even need to be happy-shiny songs (not that I would consider that one up there to be happy-shiny).  A power song can make you feel any emotion.  Emotions are good.  It can be a song that brings to mind sadness or loss, as in Clint Mansell's The Last Man from the film The Fountain.  It makes me feel the truth of being the last man.  There is sadness and loss in those chords, but it does not drain me; it is not poison.  It is a steady flowing power song... for me. 

Power Bands are something special, indeed!

There was a thing recently that I was tagged to do.  Top 5 Favourite Bands.  I always follow the beat of my own drum, so in true me fashion, I threw the rules out the window and did what I wanted to do.  Thus, I had 6 Favourite Power Bands.  That is, the bands who are the most powerful, for me, in my repertoire.  That does not mean that I like every single song in their catalog, but at least 70% of their work is power music for me.  

01.  Rammstein (German, Industrial):  Ya know, I get a lot of weird reactions for liking this band.  They're so 1998.  They're a horrible band.  I'm stupid for liking them.  Yet, they are top on my list and that has never changed just because others do not agree with me.  They have a lot of perfect songs under the belts.  The songs where the music, lyrics and delivery are just spot on, absolute perfection.  I also really dig foreign language/accents, so that ups their prowess as a band in my book.  Not all of their songs are power songs for me (meaning, I just don't listen to them), but 90% are.  Most of their power songs are high power.


02.  Peter, Bjorn and John (Swedish, Indie):  Reminiscent of the 60's.  I love their accents.  They are rather new for me, though they've been around awhile.  Again, most of their songs are power music for me.  More of a steady power.


03.  Cat Stevens (now Yusuf Islam) (British, Singer/Songwriter):  I get a lot of weird reactions for liking him as well, but damn it if he wasn't a good writer when he was Cat Stevens.  Though I'm sure he's still a good writer, but he mostly writes inspiring religious songs/songs for kids now as Yusuf.  These are steady, flowing power songs for me mainly.


04.  Fleet Foxes (American, Folk/Indie): High as well as steady power song for me.  They are the 1960s meets mountain music meets modern folk/indie.  And I love that combo.  


05.  Johnny Cash (American, Country): I've gotten weird reactions about him too.  I've been called a hipster for liking him.  I've been told that I don't really know who that is.  I've also encountered a slight fangirl moment from the postal lady when I asked if they had the Johnny Cash Stamps in yet (adorable!).  All I know is that when I was seven, I was watching the telly and this dude dressed all in black came out on stage, said, "Hello, I'm Johnny.... I'm Johnny Cash" in this deep voice and then proceeded to sing some awesome low dow gritty song.  Something that made me feel empowered though the song made you feel the emotions of loss and suffering deep down in your heart.  It was not a happy, campy song that was for sure (though he does have those).  I was hooked.  Sure I didn't know who this dude all in black was when I was seven, but I found out quick enough.  High as well as steady power right here.


06.  [T.3.R.] (Russian, Industrial): I don't even remember what led me to them.  I just stumbled across one song on Youtube one day and I couldn't look away from their awesome video, nor could I stop listening to that song.  I scoured the internet for months upon months to find anything else.  I would have happily paid for their music, but you can't buy it unless you are in Russia.  I don't think one can normally find them if you aren't in Russia.  I'm a music finding genius, apparently.  So, there are only 6 known (outside of Russia at least) songs, I have them all and every single one is a high power song for me.  There are so many reasons like, they are Russian, they sing in Russian, one of their influences is Rammstein, they look awesome as hell in those military-esque outfits, etc, etc, etc.


Which leads me back to Radioactive by Imagine Dragons.  While it's an awesome name for a band and that song is a total high power song for me, that's where it ends.  I wanted to like a band with a name like Imagine Dragons, but for me, Radioactive was the only song that spoke to me in any way at all.  But, most of my music is this way.  A random one or three songs from a band and that's all.  And we move on to completely different music and back again and forward again.  I keep my iPod on shuffle.  Unless I'm in the mood, and it's rare, do I ever listen to one band/style of music/album all the way through.  I'm like the crazy guest DJ on the radio who plays the weirdest things back to back.  I enjoy that my iPod jumps from Peter, Bjorn and John to [T.3.R.] to Dolly Parton to The Ramones to Rammstein and then Johnny Cash, etc.  My sister however will comment on how crazy it is and want to listen to R.E.M or Ani Difranco and that's it.  Like I said, all people love music... I didn't say they all love it in the same ways though.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sneakiness of White Cake...

We're having white cake! What sort of melodrama could be brewing back there? I, myself, am not even a fan of white cake.  Sure, I enjoy cake, but it's not a top contender for taste.  But there was some sort of subliminal messaging going on in the film, Django Unchained, because after seeing it last year in the theatre, I wanted white cake.  Rented it two weeks ago, & again upon seeing it, I really, really wanted white cake.   Leonardo Dicaprio, as the character Calvin Candie, only utters the words 'white cake' a total of four times.  Perhaps it is because they are uttered in about a 15 minute time frame, or because he keeps holding a plate of cake or wanting everyone to eat it.  I'm not really sure.  All I know for sure is that I needed white cake, all because of his white cake scenes.  I was so intent on the subliminal messaging of 'white cake' that I even made a soap that smelled like it, before...   I eventually made white cake! I

Weepuls?

These guys had a name? These guys... I LOVED these guys when I was a child.  Well, the smaller one's because they were the only one's that existed in my small world.  They were HUGE in the early - mid 1980's and were all over the place.  Girls would have them stuck to their Trapper Keepers, they ended up in Easter baskets, came with Valentine gifts.  Just everywhere I went someone had at least one. And then they were gone.  For so long that I had completely forgotten about them until I was in Michael's craft store yesterday evening.  My sister (who was really into them as well) had forgotten about them until I showed her the package I was intending to purchase. Is that to avoid copy-rights or am I safe in assuming no one knew they had names? So, we get a little nostalgic and happy.  I purchase them intending to give away one with each of my valentines.  Then we head to Target and we get to the Valentine candy section and their huge promotional sign is these gu

The title of this post is... 'While you are ignoring me... I jump in the Bifrost with Disney Prince Loki"

Disney Prince Loki, everyone. There's this thing going around about Loki being a Disney Prince.  It amuses me.  Is it important?  Probably not.  But it does lead very well into this blog post, I think.  I would jump in the Bifrost with Loki; Disney Prince or no.  But he's not the only one.  If you've not read A] any Norse mythology B] any Thor comics C] seen the film Thor, then I shall enlighten you.  The Bifrost is the rainbow bridge connecting this world with Asgard (where Thor, Odin, Loki and the rest of the Norse gods dwell.)  The Bifrost is not really the important part.  It simply means to run away/go away with in this context. I do not mind speaking up on the fact that I have never had a boyfriend.  It doesn't define who I am, as I don't particularly like being confined into boxes, but it does make up a part of who I am.  I'm not going to deny it.  There has never been a relationship, a date or a boy/man in my life to speak of.  But, that doesn